Welcome to the IGCSE Summer Blog for BUPS/BIS (soon to be BLIS) students leaving Grade 8 and entering into Grade 9.

This blog is your guide to your summer assignment: 12 Variations

Over the course of the next few weeks you will be completing 12 different art pieces based around one object of your choosing. This blog will provide you with examples and links to help you with each variation. On average you should aim to complete two variations per week. You will need a sketchbook dedicated to the project. Heavy weight paper is the best.

Your variations are due on the first day of Grade 9 IGCSE Art
in September. Good luck and have fun!

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

#1 - Léon Silverbeard, A Portrait

Sketchbook prep for Variation 1


As you already know, I chose Léon as my object. I chose to paint a formal portrait of Léon as my first variation. The idea of the portrait is at the forefront of my variations. For this painting I was inspired by Girl with a Pearl Earring painted by Johannes Vermeer in 1665. I was simply looking through a book and the painting jumped out at me. The more that I looked at it, the more I could imagine a painting using similar light to depict Léon.

The resulting picture is a 10 x 10 cm acrylic on paper (I painted straight into my sketchbook). I am travelling a lot this summer so, I have decided to paint small and to limit my materials to a few that are easy to carry.

Sharon Lacoste McDonagh, Léon Silverbeard, 2009
Acrylic on Paper 10 x 10 cm